Monday, October 18, 2010

Flashback to Spring

This year is flying by.  My first thought when I actually realized how late in the year it is, went something like this: “WOW!  The year is almost over and I haven’t done ANYTHING!”  Does it seem that way to anyone else? At the beginning of the year I always start out with new fresh ideas, plans of what I’d like to accomplish, places to go, things to do and horses to ride. It doesn’t always happen.

My next thought was, “Well then, what DID happen this year?” In fact there were quite a few major events.

The most wonderful thing that happened this year was the birth of my foal. I’m sure that experience is common to many who might be reading this, but what makes it stand out for me is that it was my first. So here’s the story (and a short video):

I’ve never bred horses before. Nor have I raised or trained a colt. That is, until now! I wouldn’t trade the experience for the world.

My mare, Belle, foaled in late April. It was her first and it was uneventful. At least I’m assuming it was, because I wasn’t there. I’d heard many variations of this story.  Most of them go like this: “I just went to sleep for two hours and when I woke up…there was a colt!” or “She showed NO signs the night before but when I went to feed…there was a colt!” You get the picture.

My story is about the same. I had Belle comfortably pastured at a friend’s farm. She had her own pasture with a big pile of straw to foal in. I read books on foaling. I talked to vets. I talked to breeders. I talked to friends. I watched lots of videos. I thought for a first-timer that I had a fairly good handle on what was going to happen, and what I was going to do if something went wrong. I had a foaling kit. My bedroll and cot were in the tack room of the barn. I had a battery powered searchlight for lighting if Belle foaled out in the pasture on a pitch black night and needed help. I was READY! But this is how it went…

Belle was obviously getting close. There was no mistaking that, but the night before she foaled I saw no signs that she was going to foal that night. Friends agreed. I was planning on attending the Mane Event in Red Deer the next day since I was SURE she would be foaling the following week.

Then came the morning. I woke early and was on the road to Red Deer by 7AM. I stopped to grab some food for the road and left my cell phone in the truck. As I was walking back across the parking lot after buying some food, I thought, “Wouldn’t it be funny if she foals today?” Well, when I opened the door of my truck my phone was beeping.  I had new messages on my voicemail. The phone showed all the missed calls were from Wendy, whom I had Belle boarded with. It could only be one thing. I checked the messages – the first one: “You have a baby!” The second one: “I think it’s a colt!” There might have been a third but I didn’t care. I put the truck into drive and floored it out to the farm. Questions ran through my head: “Was he healthy? What did he look like? I sure hope it’s a colt, that’s what I was hoping for!  How was Belle?”  Too say I was excited would be a massive understatement!

The end of April was marred by intermittent blizzards and we were currently in between two; the next snowstorm arrived a day later. Belle had her timing right and picked a nice spring day to foal. It was calm, cool and quiet. The only sounds were birds chirping. When I arrived, my mare was standing over her new foal. Of course they were beside the straw we’d put down, not on it. Closing the gate behind me I cautiously approached ‘mom’ and baby. I wasn’t however, nervous about how Belle would react to my presence. I know her better than I know most people, and we’ve logged many miles and hours together. Respect, trust and friendship; it means so much and goes so far. As I neared the new family I could tell Belle was very tired. She was also very relaxed and had no problem with me approaching – she barely opened her eyes.

I looked down at my little colt. So beautiful, so fragile. He had the cutest curly tail and the only markings on him were a few white hairs on his forehead. I knelt down beside him.  He looked perfect. What a moment. The little guy opened his eyes and lifted his head up to see who and what I was…and immediately went back to sleep. The miracle of birth – and I missed it! In a way though I was glad. Despite my preparations my presence was not needed and I arrived to a healthy baby. All the credit goes to Belle. “Good job, Mom,” I said.

Click for video! Video - Foal 6 Days Old.

Click for video! Video - Foal meets a new friend.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment