Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Picture's Worth

I've never been good about snapping pictures. I've always enjoyed photography-even been called upon to take some pictures for the magazines over the years-but in my personal life I'm not good at toting around a camera to document the unique and fun things my family and I get to do.

There've been so many times when I've wished I could remember an event with a picture.

And the pictures we do have as a family (mostly due to my wife remembering to grab the camera) I deeply cherish.

Recently, I had the opportunity to have a colleague come to one of the cattle leases I have to snap some photos. Abby McDougall is her name, she works for Horse Media Group-which produces MyHorse.com, Spin To Win Rodeo, The Trail Rider and Perfect Horse. She's a very gifted photographer and she spent a morning with my wife and I snapping some pictures.

We came home with over 200 digital images and I can't begin to describe how grateful I am to have something like this. I find myself glancing through the pictures she took almost too often. It's so fun to check out a photo, see how I sit a horse, get a better idea of how he handles himself and remember exactly what was going through my mind as the shutter snapped.

Anyway, since a picture is worth 1000 words, I'll stop writing and post some pix. But, in the meantime, I've come to realize the value of a good camera. So next time you're doing something you enjoy, have someone take your picture. You'll be happy you did.


My wife Kristen on Deuce.


Me on Turkey, prowling for the lump jaw.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment